Water Resources Planning for the State of Gujarat –TAHAL Project
The projected job was assigned to M/s TAHAL consulting Engineers of Israel by the Government of Gujarat in collaboration with GSFC Science Foundation.
The basic objective of the study was to prepare a comprehensive report suggesting ways to enhance and augment water availability and supply reliability for the various sectors and regions in Gujarat state. Also, alternatives for augmentation, conservation, management and efficient utilization of water resources along with the implementation of policies and legislative measures were to be considered.
In the framework of this water resources model, the ways explored to augment and conserve the state water resources were :
- Transfer of surplus water from South Gujarat to North Gujarat
- Transfer of surplus water from South Gujarat to Narmada canal HEAD Reach
- Temporary use of interstate water
- The combined operation of reservoirs
- Artificial recharge of water in Mehsana region
- Wastewater reuse for Agriculture.
The consultant has submitted the final reports detailing the comprehensive water management action plan with respect to current as well as forecasted water availability and demand, up to 2025.